Tag Archives: canadian visa

Changes proposed to International Student Program

December 28, 2012 – Changes to the International Student Progam have been announced, some of which are aimed at preventing fraud.

Under the proposed changes, schools would have to be designated by a provincial or territorial ministry of education in order to admit international students for programs longer than six months. Six-month programs do not require a study permit, as long as the foreign student has valid visitor status.

Additionally, a designated institution’s international student population would no longer have to apply for an off-campus work permit. Rather, international students could work off-campus on a part-time basis without the need for a work permit. Currently, international students may apply for an off-campus work permit six months into the first year of their program, and by keeping satisfactory academic standing while they work.

International students will also have to prove that they are actively enrolled and pursuing studies while in Canada. Citizenship and Immigration Canada reports that, currently, students only need to prove an intention to study, but might not follow through with the program for which they applied once in Canada on a study permit. The changes would introduce a way of tracking this and require students to study after their arrival. Students who do not comply with the conditions on their study permits may have removal orders issued against them.

Temporary residents at the preschool, primary or secondary level, or a course or program that is a prerequisite for acceptance at one of the designated institutions mentioned above, may apply for a study permit from within Canada.

Protected persons, refugee claimants and certain family members may be exempted from these proposed conditions on study permits.

– Written by Richard McKergow, a Paralegal licensed by the Law Society of Upper Canada and guest author on this site.

Posted in News in Immigration | Tagged

Work Permit Allows Hopeful Economic Immigrants to Work

December 15, 2012 – The newly created Bridging Open Work Permit allows those with an application in process for permanent residence in certain economic classes to continue working while awaiting a final decision on their application.

To be eligible an applicant must hold a valid work permit that will expire within 4 months, currently be in Canada, and have received Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s confirmation that their application is eligible in either the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Trades Program or the Provincial Nominee Program.

This work permit is valid for one year from the date it is issued, and therefore extends the applicant’s temporary resident status for that additional time.

Open work permits were previously issued only to those from in-Canada streams including the Live-in Caregiver Class and Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada Class. Individuals in these streams are still eligible for open work permits. The introduction of the bridging open work permit extends the advantages of an open work permit to the four economic classes noted above.

The purpose of the bridging open work permit is to simplify the options available to those whose wait for a decision on their permanent residence applications may be longer than their temporary work permit. Previously, if such a work permit was about to expire, the individual would have had only two options; either apply to stay in Canada as a visitor without a work permit, or have their employer apply for a Labour Market Opinion from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada in order to apply for an extension of their work permit.

With the exception of those applying under the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), the bridging open work permit does not restrict holders to any geographic region of Canada. Those applying under the PNP must work only in the province from which they seek nomination.

Applicants who have not taken a medical examination for the purposes of their current status in Canada or for their application for permanent residence are restricted from working in childcare, primary or secondary school teaching, health services, or agriculture.

– Written by Richard McKergow, a Paralegal licensed by the Law Society of Upper Canada and guest author on this site.

Posted in News in Immigration | Tagged

Review by Emily V.

Review of Steven Tress

by: Emily V.

I would recommend Steven to anyone who has an immigration problem. I found myself very close to losing my work permit when I met with Steven Tress. He was not only able to resolve my problem, but did so in a timely and professional manner. He is affable and easily reachable by telephone or email. 5 stars

Posted in Immigration Lawyer Reviews | Tagged , ,

Review by My D.

Review of Steven Tress

by: My D.

I would certainly refer anyone who wants to study in Canada to Steven Tress as an Immigration Lawyer. I hired Steven to help me with a study permit for my Uncle. I was impressed with his attention to detail. He was always on top of the situation and really seemed to care about the outcome of the case. 5 stars

Posted in Immigration Lawyer Reviews | Tagged , ,

New Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents

December 1, 2011 marked the availability of a new option for temporary residency – the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa. The Super Visa grants qualifying parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents a 10 year visitor visa valid for entry into Canada as temporary residents for periods of up to two-years at a time. Spouses or common law partners can accompany the visa holder, however dependent children may not. Dependents must apply for a visa separately. The Super Visa is different from a common multiple-entry visa, which is usually granted for a shorter validity period and requires holders to renew their temporary resident status every six months if they wish to continue their visit.

The Super Visa was announced on November 5th, the same day Citizenship and Immigration Canada commenced what could be as long as a 24-month pause on the processing of new sponsorship applications for parents and grandparents, as part of an initiative to ease the backlog of these applications. This means that citizens and permanent residents of Canada may not apply as a sponsor for their parents or grandparents until the government resumes this option.

A visa officer at a Canadian Embassy or Consulate generally considers Super Visa applications. The applicant must be admissible to Canada and show that their true intention is to visit. Factors such as the reason for visiting, connections to the home country, as well as the economic and political stability of the home country can factor into the visa officer’s decision.

Parents and grandparents from countries whose citizens do not require a visa to enter Canada, but wish to have the option of temporary resident status for two-year periods, may also apply for the Super Visa. Those already in Canada on a six-month visit can apply within Canada to extend their stay for up to two years if they meet the same conditions required for the Super Visa.

The Super Visa application requires, among other things, documentation to prove that the child or grandchild who is extending the invitation meets the Low Income Cut-Off guidelines, the relationship between the applicant and their child or grandchild, that the visitor has purchased at least one year of medical insurance and has completed an Immigration Medical Examination. The expected time-frame for processing a Super Visa application is eight weeks.

Posted in News in Immigration | Tagged